8th June 2020
#ATHLETICSATHOME PART 10
With some tracks, circles and runways beginning to open up and down the country, some level of normality is returning to the lives of our athletes in the UK and further afield. Once again, we’ve picked out some of the best ways athletes are training under the circumstances without some exercises and routines that may be helpful to you!
- Before the rain came down last week, Sophie Hitchon was once again able to enjoy working out in the garden with a stability and strength session, challenging you, if you have the capacity, to try yourself.
2. T20 World Para Athletics Under-20 long jump gold medallist Karim Chan has been back at work in his own home gym and is continuing to make progress, despite not being able to hit the runway.
3. A monumental task undertaken by Eilish McColgan this weekend as she and others from her coaching group laid down 10.5km in the ‘Marathon Challenge’ as she got back on the track!
View this post on Instagram
Nothing like a dull, grey day to get you through 25 laps of the track. 😅 This weekend we entered 5 teams into the Marathon Challenge from our coaching squad – Running Made Easy. Each individual had to clock 10.5K to make up the marathon distance so both me and Michael did our bit to contribute towards our teams total. I took to the track and ran a solo, social distanced 10,000m (as part of my session) – walk/jogging the final bit to make up the GPS distance! Couldn't be more proud of our squad for their efforts this weekend – some running PBs, SBs and others clocking it as part of their Sunday long runs in the build up to their future races. Currently our ladies team is top of the overall women's rankings too, which is an amazing effort! 💪 Fingers crossed it won't be too long until everyone will be back racing again, but great to have a little bit of fun in the meantime! #sundayfunday . . . . . . #teamwork #runningmadeeasy #marathonchallenge #10.5kchallenge #ukrunchat #lapsonlaps #dizzy #asics #training #instagram #hardwork #strong
4. Melissa Courtney-Bryant has been able to enjoy another session round Thornton reservoir as she keeps racking up the mileage.
5. As the Blue Peter ‘Train Your Way To Tokyo’ challenge continues, T46 World Para Athletics marathon silver medallist Derek Rae has been racking up the miles in his home town of Fife, whilst continuing
6. Another athlete who has been lucky enough to return to a track is 2011 400m hurdles champion Dai Greene and there’s nothing compares to getting back on track!
7. Tempo at altitude for Josh Kerr over in the United States and his post below tells you everything as he battled through to completion!
View this post on Instagram
10 Mile Tempos. A rollercoaster of emotions happen within that 53 minutes. You really get to know yourself as an athlete during these long hard runs. I pride myself with my consistency when it comes to races and training. However, five weeks ago this workout went horribly wrong. I knew I was fit but was only able to complete four of the ten miles, that’s unknown territory for me. Today was a monkey on my back, I can run 1.47 solo TT but can I survive this battle of head vs heart. This video is the last 30 seconds of the tempo, it shouldn’t mean this much in the grand scheme of things, but I was pumped! Massive shoutout to my boy @julianrayflorez for all the help!
8. With Global Running Day being celebrated last week, one of those to celebrate with a flashback to the dusty roads of Flagstaff was Callum Hawkins