15 January 2007
UK Athletes will be based at Aldershot in the approach to the 2012 Olympics, the BOA has announced today.
Reasons for choosing the location included:
- Proximity - a home for Team GB within easy access of the Olympic Village in Stratford;
- Availability of training venues and accommodation;
- Suitability – providing facilities for many of the 26 Olympic sports to train at the same time;
- Ethos - comfortable accommodation and associated facilities for leisure and recreation in a secure area immediately adjacent to the sport training facilities providing the sense of living in an Olympic Village;
- Transport - the availability of a complete on-site transport fleet;
- Medical - the availability of an on-site health care centre with services ranging from primary care to diagnostics;
- Security - a safe and secluded environment;
· Development potential (the Aldershot bid is a partnership comprising Aspire Defence, the Army and Rushmoor Borough Council. Development at the site is part of a major PFI project planned for delivery over the next 35 years); and
- Logistics - an area suitable for on-site processing (kitting out, car parking) of Team GB prior to moving into the Olympic Village.
UK Athletics Performance Director Dave Collins said: "It is fantastic news that Aldershot has been selected as the venue for our pre 2012 Olympic training camp. The camp offers an ideal location for track and field athletes to concentrate on the job ahead and ensure they are able to focus on their preparations. Once the track is upgraded, the facilities at Aldershot mean there is the possibility of UK Athletics using it as a preparation camp for a major championship prior to 2012"
Steph Twell who competes for Aldershot Farnham and District was delighted with the choice of her home town as preparation camp venue.
The no. 1 world junior in the 1500m and European Junior Cross-Country Champion said: “I took up athletics because the Aldershot track was literally in my back garden. I have trained here all my life and to think that I can train here before the Olympics in 2012 - if selected - is just great. It is really inspiring. Basing Team GB’s Preparation Camp in Aldershot will leave a great legacy for the town.”