As reported in last week’s Athletics Weekly, UK Athletics is inviting coaches who wish to be considered for a ground-breaking scheme in coach development to apply for a position outlined below:
Are you passionate about coaching athletes?
Do you dream of coaching British Athletes to Olympic Glory?
Are you a talented individual with the potential to be an excellent coach of athletes at World Class level and the ambition to make a significant contribution to coaching at that level?
UK athletics is determined to raise the quality of coaching at all levels, in all events and in every part of the country. In pursuit of our mission to see more British athletes win more medals at major championships, we plan to select and support coaches on the Achieving Excellence in Coaching Scheme, managed jointly by Callum Orr and Dave Collins and coordinated by Malcolm Arnold.
Those selected will benefit from a wide range of development activities that will prepare them for coaching World Class Athletes.
These activities will include:
- Formal coach education
- Exposure to high quality coaching within athletics and other environments
- Opportunities to work alongside acknowledged coaching experts
- Opportunities to work alongside World Class Athletes
- Regular sharing with peers and mentors
You are invited to apply for inclusion on the scheme
The candidates selected will show outstanding potential and will meet at least 5 of the following criteria:
- Success in coaching athletics over a period of at least 5 years (consistently helping athletes to improve at a rate faster than average for their age/stage)
- Qualified to at least UKA level 3 or equivalent
- Working with athletes on World Class Programmes (able bodied or disabled athletes)
- Educated to degree level in a related discipline (e.g. sports science, teaching, coaching)
- Innovative, open to new ideas and able to analyse them critically
- Achieves excellence in other aspects of life (e.g. in current employment)
- Learns quickly and applies knowledge and skills in new situations
- Demonstrates high emotional intelligence and cutting edge thought and action
Costs of participation in the scheme will be met (for example course fees, resources, travel expenses, accommodation where appropriate)
The scheme will run between May 2007 and October 2008
In order to apply, you should send a CV and brief letter of application giving evidence of how you meet the above criteria to:
Callum Orr, Head of Coaching & Teaching, UK Athletics Limited, Athletics House, Central Boulevard, Blythe Valley Park, Solihull, West Midlands, B90 8AJ.
The closing date for applications is 28 February 2007.