The recently formed road running leadership group (RRLG) is meeting and will continue to meet every six weeks.
The group will be communicating with the sport through various sources:
- Peter Hier is meeting with race organizers and county permit secretaries
- John Temperton is working within Athletics Services to oversee the transitional arrangements and the group will set up a website to provide information on the workstreams. In the meantime queries can be directed to Athletics Services or email@example.com
So far the group is delighted to report that it has agreement from UKA that from April 1st 2008 all funds collected by Athletics Services that have been generated by road running will be used to for the development of road and endurance running.
Planned Work streams for the RRLG:
- Workstream 1 - to oversee the transition from the existing system of road running to a new system
- Workstream 2 - the administration of road running
- Workstream 3 - the marketing of road running
- Workstream 4 - improving overall standards.
The group will work, prioritising Workstream 2 to ensure a high standard of experience for anyone running in a road race. There is a need to improve the training and recruitment of volunteers, improve medical resources, share and create best practices.
The group is also reviewing the current system of levies and permits and will be proposing an alternative system that can provide a better service both to race organizers and race participants. The group plans to develop these proposals by September 2007.
Finally, the group endorses the activities of Athletics Services in delivering England Athletics affiliation policy and the arrangements for race organisers.