As part of UKA’s commitment to developing a vibrant, attractive and sustainable sport that reflects the needs of all participants through to London 2012 and beyond, a Youth Advisory Group (YAG) has been created to work with the organisation to help shape the future direction of the sport.
Following an overwhelming number of applications,14 young people (aged 16-25) have been selected. The members, selected for their skills, knowledge and understanding of athletics are drawn from all corners of the UK, and represent coaches, officials, volunteers and administrators.
The inaugural gathering in 2011 saw the group working together to create their identity, set targets and explore potential projects for the future.
The YAG will initially work closely with UKA staff to provide guidance on projects related to all sectors of the sport, which will contribute to an improved service for young people within athletics, regardless of their role or level of involvement.
Key responsibilities include:
- Input into the planning and coordination of the Young Leaders Camp and Young Leaders Programme
- Provide critical feedback on any resources produced by UKA that will be accessed by young people
- Provide feedback regarding the development of the UKA recruitment and retention project for young technical officials
- Help to identify event volunteering opportunities and raise their profile amongst young volunteers
- Support the creation and production of youth specific athletics media
- Assist with planning and delivery of athletics specific youth volunteering events
Recent projects that the YAG have been working on include:
Review of UKA website – content and style
Development of young volunteer incentive programme
Guidance on officials recruitment and retention initiatives
Feedback on spectator experience issues at UKA televised events
Youth Development League (YDL) – Feedback on name and logo
Presentation to UKA Officials Conference
Revision of the programme to be sold at UK CAU Track & Field Championships
Feedback on logo for European Team Championships 2013
Attendance at European Athletics Youth Forum